Sunday, January 11, 2015

Beautiful People: Me Again

Another weekend post. We’re just breaking all the rules, aren’t we?

So, I’m not convinced that I’ll do Beautiful People after this (I’m picky about writing memes, really) but I got eight of these memes (hosted, of course, by Cait at Paper Fury and Sky at Further Up and Further In) in my Bloglovin’ feed, and those ladies (they were all ladies) have inadvertently peer pressured me into this.

I blame you all.


1. How many years have you been writing? When did you officially consider yourself a ‘writer’?


Mentally, I’ve been writing since I was very small. I mentioned it before, on Thursday, but it’s what I would call ‘mental fan fiction.’ When I was little, I rewrote Barney stories in my head (yeah, the purple dinosaur), which has changed over the years as my favorite series has changed.

I never thought I was ALLOWED to write it down.

I didn’t start writing until eighth grade. From then on, I’ve written, but I didn’t consider myself a writer until October 2014.

(I mentioned that in this interview, remember.)

2. How/why did you start writing?


Mrs. A, the fabulous Language Arts teacher who said we had to write 18 pages in our notebook per trimester. Instead, I came very close to filling a three-subject notebook that year. I guess I never stopped after that.

3. What’s your favorite part of writing?


Finishing. It’s my favorite part of anything, really. Books, meals, homework. But I really like that feeling of accomplishment and done-ness that comes after finishing a draft or a notebook or a story. It’s pretty good motivation, as this box attests.

Click Me to Big Me!

4. What’s your biggest writing struggle?


Self-awareness. The day I write this (Friday) I’ve been told, possibly for the first time ever, that my writing was disliked. My CP was super helpful in that email too (I am definitely not complaining; I just got the best feedback I’ve had in years, if not ever), and she had plenty of suggestions to improve my WIP, but the way the story is, she couldn’t like it.

I needed her to tell me that—I can’t tell if I’m good or not. Heck if I know if I’ll ever actually write something deserving of the paper it’s printed on. I don’t know these things. And it sort of sucks, because that lack of awareness makes my disillusionment that much more painful.

5. Do you write best at night or day?


Night. No one is up except for me, and that is nice.

6. What does your writing space look like?


A computer, surrounded by bookshelves and all my homework. There’s a flatbed scanner, usually dishes or a mug of water. Right now I have other odd items collected around myself; two kinds of glue for the book I had to bind in my Spanish class, a spacer for my inhaler, a would-be cold pack if I’d put it back in the freezer when the wisdom-tooth-removal pain went away.

7. How long does it typically take you to write a complete draft?


Forever.

Okay, usually somewhere between ‘not long enough’ and ‘forever.’ I’m not good at writing drafts, though. I can usually get a first draft, but it’s hard for me to edit beyond that, and even then I’m not good at being verbose on the first try. It doesn’t work well.

8. How many projects do you work on at once?


Just one or two.

9. Do you prefer writing happy endings, sad ones, or somewhere in between?


I’m that happy ending sap. Sad, but true. I really suck at making pain and consequences a thing—I feel too bad writing it that I am unable to commit the act on paper.

10. List a few authors who’ve influenced your writing journey.


Mark Walden, for sure. Gail Carson Levine. Probably Stephanie Meyer, and Isla Neal and Martin Leicht—their voices inspired that for my current WIP. Eoin Colfer, John Flanagan, Rick Riordan. Oh yeah, definitely Rick Riordan.

And maybe Joss Whedon.

11. Do you let people read your writing? Why or why not?


Selectively, and always to people I know won’t care, usually. Or, not that they won’t care but they aren’t going to put a lot of time and effort into it.

I just tried a CP for the first time, and I am absolutely going to use the feedback I received, as she was nice and very useful, but she pointed out an embarrassing number of plot holes and characterization problems I feel I should have caught.

So I tend to avoid letting people who really read to edit, just because I know I’ve missed something I should have found in the first place.

12. What’s your ultimate writing goal or dream?


I don’t have one.

13. If you didn’t write, what would you want to do?


I don’t know. It’s not a very appealing thought, and I don’t really do anything particularly special. I’d probably just be a laborer, of some sort, because I know it’s something doable.

14. Do you have a book you’d like to write one day but don’t feel you’re ready to attempt it yet?


Any book with characters that aren’t like me immediately makes me nervous. I have friends who are very race-conscious, or are way more liberal than I am, and live in other countries and see prejudice and are aware of it and experience it and I live in the suburbs.

I’m pretty much the “middle class white girl who lives in a mostly-white community” that gets criticized in fiction for being overused, except in real life. I don’t have personal access to much beyond that, so writing beyond that makes me really uncomfortable just because people don’t forgive you if you make a mistake in that area.

15. Which story has your heart and won’t let go?


Right now? A fan fiction story. And I won’t tell you about it, because it’s mine.

But I will say that I’m also writing a story about a magical accountant right now, and it is incredibly entertaining.


Ta-da! I have answered the questions. And now I shall leave to do other things. *swoops under cape, and swishes away to leave you gaping in your seat*

So, are you going to join the linkup?

18 comments :

  1. I saw on one of your earlier posts that you are thinking about doing a giveaway. I just started my 2015 giveaway on my blog: www.elizamcfarlish.weebly.com
    If you want to participate in one before you start one yourself it might give you some ideas. Registration closes February 1st and it is open to anyone, and the giveaway itself will last until May 1st so people have a lot of time to earn points. I'd love to have more participants!

    Have a super, fantastic, awesome, splendid, amazing day!
    ~Eliza McFarlish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer, I'll have to check it out!

      Delete
  2. I'm to scared to try this whole link-up thing xD Not sure why! I loved your answers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might try it—it's fun! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. I think I was one of the bloggers that inadvertently pressured you? Maybe. If I did, yay! I'm so glad you did this meme because I love learning how other writers work. I was inspired to write more much like you were, except it was when I was in elementary school. Instead of writing class in elementary school I went to a writer's group with a few other kids where we basically spent the time writing stories in notebooks that were given and reading and critiquing each other's stories. It might have sort of turned into a competition to see who could fill up their notebooks the fastest. Self-awareness is a big struggle for me, too, and I think for all writers. It's difficult to tell how good or not good your writing is because you only have one viewpoint. I'll get some CPs one day when I've completely edited one of my novels. Writing a character that is completely unlike me scares me as well, but I read a post in which Stephanie Morrill from Go Teen Writers said that writing a character that was the opposite of her helped her find her voice and eventually get published. I think I might try that. Instead of writing an ISTJ character like me, I'll write an ENFP character for my next WIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes you were. :) I love learning about other writers, too! That's an awesome writing story, though, and I absolutely know that competing to fill up a notebook is awesome. It's fun looking back on the things we did when we were kids! :D I think that you illustrated why we need CPs, too. We only have one perspective, which is not what we need when we write. And I'll have to look up that post, because GTW has always been useful. Trying to write someone the opposite of me sounds tricky, though—I too am an ISTJ and I have so much problem with FPs. FPs... They are lovely people, I know, but we have very, very big differences. But, I guess it also means that it's worth my attempt to try it out. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  4. I kind of love this linkup xD I've got mine going up on Wednesday, late as always, haha. Anyway, this is great! It was super interesting to read your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read yours! Thanks for looking at mine!

      Delete
  5. Possibly I was part of that peer pressure, ahaha. Loved your answers! You, my friend, have filled so many more notebooks than I even own. And don't worry about the privilege thing; I mean, even if you experience privilege yourself, you have friends who don't or at least people you can chat with. Your comfort zone is infinitely elastic :)

    I'm actually looking for CPs myself, so if you're still interested, that would be awesome. Just email me or DM me on Twitter or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you were. :) I think what is sad to say is that I own so many more notebooks than I've completed. XD I need to work on them, for sure! But thanks for that encouragement; it's something tricky I know I need to think about but hopefully with a little practice I'll figure out how I can learn what I need to know.

      Ooh, that sounds good. I might DM you. Like, right now.

      Delete
  6. I find it really cool that you just recently considered yourself a writer and yet you've so completely thrown yourself into it! On one hand, I totally get what you're saying about why you don't like CPs, but on the other hand, they are wonderful superhero unicorns that can help you and your writing so much!
    Thank you for commenting on my blog!

    ~Sarah Faulkner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's come with a lot of practice beforehand. XD But I like considering myself a writer; it's nice. :) Although, I wouldn't say I don't like CPs... maybe I don't like my need of them, but in general CPs are very cool people. :)

      Thanks for commenting back!

      Delete
  7. I tagged you here: https://ascatteringoflight.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/sisterhood-of-the-world-bloggers-award/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you did the linkup even if you never want to do it again.

    I only work on like one project at a time! And ahhhhh feedback is always a mix between super scary and super helpful. But hey, I'm not saying your CP is wrong or anything, but I do want to cautiously point out that even if one person says they "Didn't like your book" doesn't mean that your book is crap, okay?? I had a BUCKET LOAD of people tell me they didn't like my book. And I loved it enough to keep going with it and eventually an agent picked it up. So just because some people don't like it doesn't have to mean it's not worthwhile. Keep that in mind, okay??? (Of course making it better is always a thing we can all work on, right?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agh now I feel guilty for saying that. LINKUPS ARE FUN BUT I DON'T LIKE TALKING ABOUT WRITING I LIKE TALKING ABOUT ME.

      More than one project is hard, right? And yes, feedback is really, really hard for me to get used to! But that is definitely an encouraging story—and it is totally awesome that you were able to make it all the way to the end and get it queried and accepted, because that is awesome! But yes, I think first I'll get the better down, and then I'll see what I can do. XD

      Delete
  9. I totally get what you mean about letting people read your work. I've just sent my first three chapters off to a couple of CPs, and I'm terrified of them finding a whole bunch of things that I should have seen before, even though I know that that's the exact reason that I'm getting them to help me. Usually I let a couple of trusted friends and one of my sisters read my books because I know that they won't critique them and that they'll be encouraging. Which most of the time is all I need at that point.

    Great to see you joining in with this linkup, even if it is just for one month. I really enjoyed seeing more about you as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It's like, embarrassing that we need people to look or something. I just have that sense that if I had waited one more week, or one more month, I could have made it that much more perfect. And I know what you mean—it is very nice to have people who never say a bad then. Then again, by doing that I never grow. :/

      Thanks for reading it! It was fun!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!