Tuesday, December 9, 2014

TCWT December Blog Chain: I Know Lots of Things

Click, and behold my fabulous hosts.
I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I signed up for this without fully understanding the consequences of this month’s prompt:

“What works of fiction have taught you by example, and what did they teach you?”


Which, of course, implies that I need to have been taught by example by a book. Well, darn. I don’t think a piece of fiction has ever taught me—well. Maybe there’s a few…

via Goodreads
Percy Jackson

Always keep going. There’s nothing more embarrassing than having Percy beat you at anything.

There’s always a dam pun worth using over in the Black Canyon.

Someday boys grow up, and even Percy Jackson, who I always despised, came something close to resembling a man.

via Goodreads
Twilight

Be symbolic. Go for the Jesus. Enamor me and make me write assertive essays at one in the morning.

Remember, there are a lot of books worse than Twilight; don’t be one of them.

Get involved. Chill with fans. Make a movie, befriend the director. Cameo. GET FEMALE DIRECTORS TO SHOOT YOUR STUFF. Show that you can do something other people aren’t doing. And do it.

via Goodreads
Marigold

Apologize when you know you’re wrong.

Be a role model to those around you.

Spend time laughing every day.

via Amazon
Fringe

LSD is fun to play with, but don’t take it in real life.

Cook naked on Tuesdays.

It’s never the end.

via Goodreads
Serenity

Ask questions.

The secret to making life isn’t hard, and he can show you on your wedding night.

Don’t make religion suck. Be awesome, and be real.

via Amazon

Firefly

Be creative and passionate in all you do.

Eat together.

It never goes smooth.

H.I.V.E.

Maintain your dignity.

A plot must have a plot. There must be purpose and finesse and regard with everything you choose to do, and whether it succeeds or not you must be accountable for the actions. Understand everything.

Make your villains BEAUTIFUL! *rainbow splashes and sprinkles*

via Goodreads
Unwind

Think through your faith, your beliefs, your thoughts, your dreams. Learn.

Teenagers matter.

Keep moving forward.

via Goodreads
Pandora

Love your dad.

Challenge yourself.

Don’t feel bad about having a better theory for the end because REALLY THOUGH IT WOULD HAVE BEEN PERFECT AND HERA WOULD BE REDEEMED PLEASE WHY DIDN’T IT HAPPEN.

via Goodreads

Ranger’s Apprentice

Horses are okay when they’re not real.

Accountants are always a safe bet.

Be sarcastic at every possible opportunity.

via Amazon

Vicar of Dibley

You have to love them. Even if they keep trying to marry you or have no social skills or do heinous things with farm animals—you still have to love them. And forgive them. All the time. Even Mr. Horton.

Always marry the sexy accountant. (Who is played by Thorin, if anyone was curious.)

Get married in your pajamas!

via Amazon

Star Trek

Take honor and justice into account before selfish desire.

Drink tea. Teaearlgreyhot is good, but any will do.

Make it so.

via Wikipedia

Studio C

A man’s brain is a mysterious place.

Make awesome stories at Teddy’s Story Joint.

Date the accountant.


Some are facts, some are actions I have to work at, some are other little tidbits that are interesting to read but who knows why they’re there. Nonetheless… That’s what I know.

If you ARE in the blog chain… Be sure to drop me a link so I can be sure to check out your post when you post it!


If you ARE NOT in the blog chain… What do you know? What are things that books have taught you over the years?

Prompt: “What works of fiction have taught you by example, and what did they teach you?”
9th – Sometimes I'm a Story—you're already here!
10th – Kira Budge: Author
16th – Miriam Joy Writes
17th – Horse Feathers
21st – Unikke Lyfe
25th – No Post Today!
27th – Miss Alexandrina
28th – A Writer's Tales
31st – Teens Can Write, Too! (We’ll announce the topic for next month’s chain.)

14 comments :

  1. I enjoyed reading this! I haven't read all the books, but you've inspired me to check them out! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them, but you'll have to let me know what you think of all of them in the end. There's good stuff in all of them, though, so it's definitely worth your while.

      Delete
  2. I will definitely be checking out these books! I haven't read most of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them, then! Although some are TV series, if that isn't clear, which I just say because on occasion there are some things not everyone would be comfortable watching... Just saying. Let me know what you think of them, though, if you read them! :D

      Delete
  3. The Fringe one had me DYING. I love that series too much. Too much. O_O

    There are so many awesome chains and link-ups and memes going around right now and I am just completely clueless. This was such a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW. I just got the third season for my birthday, which is my favorite of the seasons, and I'm dancing around and waiting for Christmas Break to come so I can get to watching it.

      There are a lot. Teens Can Write Too! is actually an awesome blog, though, that does a monthly linkup for writers so that we can discuss things that matter to us; it's really cool and worth checking out, even if you're over the 20-years age limit. :)

      Delete
  4. I like how concise you are. Right to the point. :)

    What you learned from Twilight is interesting. If there was something I learned from reading half the first book (before I realized that my time was too short to read something I wasn't much interested in), it's that it's not so bad, but be very, very careful about the message you're trying to say; whatever it was, it got tangled it up in the perceived sexism, and I never really understood how it got to that point. Then again, I haven't read the rest of the books. :D

    Does the first one mean you're not a Percy fan? *Gasp!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like being concise, too. :) Saves us all a lot of time.

      Absolutely, there are definitely people who perceive the sexism as a major falling point, and I always respect those opinions because they're totally valid. I, however, like to look at the series as a whole and look at a few larger themes that are just as controversial but still, redeeming. Looking at the big picture is one of the things that still makes me love the series, despite the many votes against it.

      Well, I'm not anymore. In my opinion, Riordan's writing has gone downhill and so while it's fun to read them every now and again, it's not something I'll invest anymore money in. XD However, I was actually referring to myself when I was younger, when I loved the story but struggled because I thought Percy was an idiot, and was rather harsh in my judgement of his actions. I like him a little better now as a person, but I am over the series.

      Thanks for commenting, Clarice. :)

      Delete
  5. You've read Serenity!!! Issss!!! I started reading it in the Christian bookstore, but never got to the end because my mom called me. How does it end? Is it epic right through?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I own all ten! :D I love them all; I think they do a really good job at addressing Christian life and teen issues (sex, drugs, family, God, etc.) without being preachy—they make the story the story and God gets to speak for Himself, which is always good. I'd highly recommend looking for them at your library, etc. if you get the chance! :D They're for sure epic all the way through. :)

      Delete
  6. Great post! This was a fun take on the prompt and I really enjoyed it. I haven't read/watched most of these, but now I want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly I've seen no one who used as much color as me. Almost disappointing, really. (JK) But thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy the stuff you do pick up. I certainly did. :D

      Delete
  7. I love the way you set up your response. Really good stuff. And what you learned reading Unwind was really powerful to me. (Psst. Do I need to read that book? I keep seeing it around.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to be original, and I think it worked. XD Unwind is definitely one of the most powerful books I've read. (And in my humble opinion anyone who is a teenager, works with teenagers, has a teenager, or identifies with teenagers should read that book. READ THE WHOLE SERIES. Because it's a great book. I could say so many things about that book. READ IT READ IT READ IT!)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!