Monday, December 1, 2014

How One Blogger Uses Pinterest

There are writers who like to make boards for their books and characters, there are mommies who look for ideas for their kids’ birthday parties, there are guys… I don’t know what they pin, really. Note to self, do some research!

Regardless, I don’t do those things. I didn’t really know what I was getting into when I got a Pinterest account, but I did. And now my boards look different from all the other teenage girls at my school.

How do I use Pinterest?



Firstly, it’s a reading list. I used to have a “reread” check mark on my Google Calendar, and I soon accumulated over fifty links. As a writer, I want to save links that may help me further on in my writing journey—but an advice column about editing doesn’t help me when I’m still hammering out the first draft.

In that light, Pinterest has also become a resource bank. If I see a picture about a gunshot wound or I find a post on how to make sure
you’re showing, not telling, then I pin it. Later, when I’m editing, I can search the keywords in my pins to find more information on what I need to know.

(By the way, that is why I love those people who actually put useful descriptions when they pin useful links.)

There are lots of helpful posts out there, but there are also good posts about books just coming out, scientific articles, news. In that regard Pinterest is a promotional site, not only because it gets the word out but it’s not time-dependent. From what I’ve noticed, Pinterest is a lot more timey-wimey than something like the Facebook timeline.

However, Pinterest often is more of an entertainment site than anything else, so it also has become my geek pedestal. I love finding pins about Disney, or the Avengers, or Sherlock, or Fringe, or Firefly, or really any of my favorite geeky things. Character quotes. Movie dates. It’s great.

And, unfortunately, my geek pedestal used to be saved on my computer. Therefore, I’m also spending a lot of my time uploading the funny pictures and bizarre facts up to Pinterest to free a little space on my computer. (Well, maybe a lot of space. Last I checked there were 13,000 files… Oops.) So, it’s also become a place of off-site storage.

Of course, a girl couldn’t get by without some hidden boards. There are some things hilarious—but inappropriate. There are other things enchanting—but personal. And there are some things that are awesome—but my own. And so it’s also a place of secrets, so that not all of my media actually has to be social.

That is what I use it for. As a writer, it’s great, because I can keep a record of useful places to visit when I’m stuck in a rut later on, and as a daughter it’s better because I can keep my dad laughing the whole night long.

Yup. There you go. Why I love Pinterest. No matter how lame my sister thinks it is, it’s great.


Do you use Pinterest, or do you have a different favorite social media that serves the same purpose? What do you like to use Pinterest for? (And, do you have a Pinterest account you'd like me to check out?)


(By the way, just as I was editing and fixing this post, I popped on my Pinterest page and completely panicked because there were pictures of desserts and fast fat-burning tutorials in my feed, and I thought all the boards I follow were GONE. But they’re not. They be glitching today.)

12 comments :

  1. I don't actually have a Pinterest account, but I think it would be really useful to have one, especially to keep track of online resources instead of clogging up my bookmarks bar and to create storyboards of my WIPs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely; as I said, it can be hard keeping track of all the sites you save by name alone. The description feature on Pinterest is really handy. I've never tried making a storyboard, but sounds like a cool idea. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this! I know a ton of people use Pinterest, but I was curious how you could use it for bookish purposes. :D Definitely going to use this guide when setting up my account!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. :D Though, if you're going to want to use it for bookish purposes you might also check out different book bloggers and their Pinterest pages, since they'll probably have other ways to use Pinterest as well. :) Mine is certainly not an exhaustive list! But, all the same, I'm glad you found it useful. :D

      Delete
  3. Ah, Pinterest, my greatest waste of time. I do use it to keep track of images for my stories, but those are all secret boards, 'cause, you know, spoilers. :) I mostly use it for gathering writing articles/things to remember, quotes that make me happy, and a place to unwind and get a laugh from some of my fandoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waste... in a good way? Maybe. XD But I getcha, you can't let the whole world know all the evil things you have planned, and we all find our own uses for our boards. Although mentioning fandoms makes me pleased, because sometimes it feels like so people capitalize on the awesomeness of so many fandom pictures all at the same time. :)

      Delete
  4. Pinterest is the black hole for writers ;) I use secret boards for your reasons as well- I think it is genius! I make story boards and collect inspiration and articles and just waste hours of my life reading facts I don't even need.
    Here's my link! http://www.pinterest.com/dazieb/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes it is! But it sounds like a good method for you—what I've learned is that wasting hours of my life is actually part of the writing process, especially when I don't know what to write about. *shakes head*

      And I have followed you. :)

      Delete
  5. I used to be addicted to Pintrest! These past few months I've been more reasonable about it though. I've seen lots of authors using it for book ideas, but that's just not for me. Mine is mostly jokes and nerd things. I do pin writing resources too. And yes to good pin descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to get caught in the Pinterest trap, so I can get why you'd take a step back. I did the same thing a while back when I realized I was not getting stuff done. I'm with you on posting jokes and nerd things, though—they are the best! :) Second is writing resources, of course, but hey, order doesn't matter.

      Delete
  6. I love Pinterest! Like a lot of authors I have boards specifically for my own characters, settings, and plots. But like you I've also got links to good research resources, books I want to read, geeky things, writing advice, story/Character inspiration, exotic costumes and clothes for characters, character dialogue inspiration, and then a few typical girly boards for cloths and jewelry (though I barely ever use them . . .). I love scrolling through my character and story inspiration boards. It is so interesting all the scenarios that are summarized in single quotes and images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great, no? And I love the boards, so that we can sort as we will: books like you or research or anything else. It's great for inspiration, too, but I like using the humor sections so that when I'm feeling down on a story I have a reason to cheer up again. The quotes are great too, of course. :)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!