Tuesday, October 7, 2014

If I Read Books, Well, I Know I'm Gonna Be, I Know I'm Gonna Be the Girl Who Reads Books Next to You

When I started this blog, I had two huge stacks of books next to my laundry hamper, both over two and half feet tall, and all of them books I owned but had not read (or had gone too long without a reread). There were over 75 books. Now there are thirteen.

Usually I talk about the next ten books I’m going to read, but I think we can make an exception this time, don’t you?
via Goodreads

1. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

Obviously, I’m going to finish the series. I remember the ending, though not a lot in between. Also, I think the Christmas I got it, I read it all in like, one day or something. Crazy me.

2. Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

I think I used to love this book. I just remember that there were pennies that they left for kids to find, and she took pictures of a kid across the street all the time.

3. The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
via Goodreads

This is possibly a book my dad owns and I borrowed without permission but with every intention of returning it. And I will. I just want to see what all happens in it.

4. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

I don’t know whether I’ll like this book or not; zombies may not be enough for me to enjoy a classic. And I haven’t read the original. We’ll see what happens.

5. Oregon Trail II: The Official Strategy Guide by Wayne Studer

The sad thing is not that I am going to read a game guide for a computer game that was designed in the nineties and I once played frequently, but that it will be the second time I have read it. I dunno if I can make it through, but I’ll try. We’ll see. (I always win that game nowadays, so it might be a bit boring.)

[Fun Story: I always win now because I always know exactly what to get. Other people, not so much. I’ve tried to play the game with my grandpa. He bought about half the amount of food we needed with almost all our money and left town without buying anything other than the oxen to get us places. No blankets. No clothes. No food. Obviously, we died.]

[Another Fun Story: One time I played this game with my friend from elementary school. I ran to the bathroom, and when I came back he had spent over $200 to buy us four cows. No returns—I was so thrilled.]
via Goodreads

6. The Great Brain Book by HP Newquist

Since I take psychology as an elective, this will certainly be interesting. I got it as a Christmas present from my mom once. Now I will actually read it.

7. The Beatrice Letters by Lemony Snicket

This may end up requiring me to reread the entire Series of Unfortunate Events. Oh, darn, guess I’ll have to cancel the rest of my commitments this year.

8. How to Read Novels Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster
via Goodreads

I actually had to read Foster’s first book, How to Read Literature Like a Professor, for my AP Lit class this year, and I loved it, surprisingly enough. I’m really looking forward to this, but it’s going to take a little while to find the time to annotate it.

9. The Juniper Tree and Other Tales from Grimm by Lore Segal and Maurice Sendak (Vol. I and II)

This is like, some ancient fairy tale collection. Maybe it was one of my parents’? I have no idea where I got them, just that they were in my room, and then I was like, “I don’t need this crap,” and then my mom found them again and she was like, “You should read these, in case you want to use them for your writing.” And then I was like, “Goshdangit, she’s right.” So, I’m going to reread them.

10. Prayer's Apprentice by Timothy Jones

via Goodreads
My Dad lent this book to me, and so I will see what it is about. He has a mysterious collection of books he has acquired over the years, and I am occasionally privy to such information. I doubt it will compare with his collection of Sherman’s Lagoon comics, though.

11. Women of the Bible by Ann Spangler and Jean E. Syswerda

I got this as a Confirmation present, actually. I’ve flipped through it before, but when I get done with my current devo, I think I’ll dive straight into this one.


12. Edgar Allen Poe

 As I mentioned in my last TBR post, as an award in my sophomore year of high school, I received a collection of all Edgar Allen Poe’s poems and short stories. Don’t blame me for not having started. It’s over a thousand pages, and I am extremely intimidated. I will read it, though. I believe in myself.



And that’s all. Thirteen books in the stack, and thirteen books I fully intend to get through as soon as I can. Wish me luck!


What’s on your TBR List? And, out of curiosity, do you have any comments or warnings on the things I’m about to read?

6 comments :

  1. I want to read Paper Towns by John Green :)
    I enjoyed Inheritance, it was a nice ending to the series. I borrow books off my dad with every intention of returning them as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, John Green. :) Be sure to tell me how you like it.

      I did enjoy Inheritance as an ending—I think my favorite part was seeing Galbatorix as a character, instead of a faraway entity. Such a glorious king... And yes, Dads are great for books. :)

      Delete
  2. The Beatrice Letters is very intriguing. I'm a long-time fan of A Series of Unfortunate Events, so I may be biased, but I think it lends an extremely interesting background to the end of, well, The End. As for the others, I should really check those out too ... although I still have one thing on my windowsill. It's called a Kindle, and it has like twenty unfinished books. Aaah.

    Oh, and EDGAR ALLAN POE. The sheer awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. XD And I know what you mean; I have so many different books on my Kindle I don't even know when I'll find time to read them. XD

      I KNOW. I'm really excited, if intimidated.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's a lot of books to read. I could probably have done that in this amount of time if I didn't have so much study. I used to read a lot, but there's just so little time now! I have Cress on my TBR list at the moment, and a stack of library books whose names I have forgotten at the moment. But there can never be enough books! Must read all the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's especially hard to start reading when school is in session! I understand. :P But, sometimes you just have to make time—Cress isn't going to read itself. ;)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!