Saturday, September 27, 2014

TCWT September Blog Chain: Principio a Fin




There are a couple things I would like you to know before reading this post.

1) I am sick, and feeling rather embittered towards the world. I, for one, would like to have a chat with God on why exactly bacteria couldn’t have a nucleus with a real membrane. These mutations are driving me nuts.

2) If you haven’t been here this before, all of my posts this month are about princesses—you can read why here. This post will be no different.

3) This is also one of the many esteemed posts belonging to the Teens Can Write Too! Blog Chain; the prompt this month is What are your favorite book beginnings and/or endings?”

Compromise is the subtle art of solving a problem by catering to all involved parties at the same time, and then ducking as they try to kill you. Though I would appreciate it if you did not attack my house, I shall compromise: all of the beginnings and endings I choose shall indeed be of my favorites, and more than that they will all have princess references.

Watch me.

“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hold, and that means comfort.” –The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkein, page 1

When I think of this line, I don’t think about young Bilbo or his adventures with the dwarves. I think of my dad reading it to me on a hard living room floor on a dark night in a soft voice. I love it when he reads to me.

[Princess Reference: To my understanding there are no girls in the book, but they go to Rivendell, where Elrond is, and Elrond is Arwen’s father and in my opinion, she is a princess.]

“The year that Buttercup was born, the most beautiful woman in the world was a French scullery maid name Annette.” –The Princess Bride, William Goldman, page 33

The entire beginning of The Princess Bride rather fascinates me. In fact, the entire introduction is something to gawp at “This is my favorite book in all the world, though I’ve never read it.” Goldman crafts a strange story with a lot of potential energy—and how loud does it then explode.

[Princess Reference: Because Humperdinck couldn’t marry a peasant, he had to give Buttercup an estate so that she would be a princess and would therefore become eligible for marriage.]

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…” –A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens

I have never read this book. I love the beginning, but I haven’t read it. No… There’s another book called Deadlock, by Mark Walden, and it is on page 17 that Dr. Nero, who is, by the way, the most fantastic of characters to have ever lived, begins to read it. I’ll fangirl about this some other time for you.

[Princess Reference: It’s French Revolution time frame, which is anti-aristocracy, which is anti-princess. Marie Antoinette gets dead, yay peasants.]

“And they lived happily (aside from a few normal disagreements, misunderstandings, pouts, silent treatments, and unexpected calamities) ever after.” –Twice Upon a Marigold, Jean Ferris, page 297

I am that chick who really enjoys realistic endings. Love does not get easy after you get married, I think. Married people seem to think so—I am not married, but it is my understanding, and have you a complaint with it, I suggest you find someone who is married and have a discussion yourself.

[Princess Reference: Marigold is a princess.]

“So she commanded. He obeyed her, glad at heart./And Athena handed down her pacts of peace/between both sides for all the years to come—/the daughter of Zeus whose shield is storm and thunder,/yes, but the goddess still kept Mentor’s build and voice.” –The Odyssey, Homer/Robert Fagles, page 485

I do very much enjoy this ending. It’s a good ending. But I also like this ending because just under Homer’s last line, my freshman self wrote in her copy of the book: “And they lived happily ever after./The end.” I was so cute.

[Princess Reference: Nausicaa is a princess.]

“Prometheus began to laugh in spite of himself. He gazed out, past the rim of the mountain, toward the sun just beginning to slide down to the horizon.
‘Oh, dear Brother, wait till I tell you about my girl!’” –Pandora Gets Lazy, Carolyn Hennesy, page 277

Have I mentioned I’m a sucker for father-daughter moments? If you want me to cry, if you want me to love your book forever, if you want me to fall to my knees and squeal, you just need to write the best father-daughter sequence I’ve ever read. The relationship between Pandy and Prometheus in this series? Golden.

[Princess Reference: In Pandora Gets Vain, they run into Cleopatra, who, at the time, was technically a princess.]

And there is one more. One more. But it is a beginning, and it is an end…

“It all started in Ho Chi Minh City one summer. It was sweltering by anyone’s standards. Needless to say, Artemis Fowl would not have been willing to put up with such discomfort if something extremely important had not been at stake. Important to the plan…” –Artemis Fowl and The Last Guardian, Eoin Colfer, page 3 and page 328

They’re not a perfect match, but they complete the puzzle. The lovely thing about a circle is that it has no end. Here is the circle. And I love it.

[Princess Reference: I’m pretty sure Corporal Frond started insisting that everyone address her as a princess at some point because she claimed to be descended from King Frond himself.]

Flickr Credit: Chris Alcoran

How do you like them apples?

So, there you have it: beginnings and endings I love, all with princesses to boot. Don’t think I wasn’t honest, either. A beginning is an ember. And no matter who the characters are, or what the setting is, or who is causing the problem, by the end there will be a fire. Should that fire be especially hot, it shall brand you forever.

Here’s to books that brand you. May our scars never fade. Huzzah!

If you ARE in the Blog Chain: Be sure to drop me a link to your post so I can comment back, if I haven’t already!

If you ARE NOT in the Blog Chain: What are some of your favorite book beginnings and endings? And, while you’re here, why don’t you take a look at the other folks on the blog chain, just for kicks?

Prompt: “What are your favorite book beginnings and/or endings?” 
and http://teenscanwritetoo.wordpress.com/ (We’ll announce the topic for next month’s chain.)

4 comments :

  1. Your description of compromise was hilarious. A Tale of Two Cities was also on my list, albeit without your lovely twist, ahaha. I really ought to read The Princess Bride and The Odyssey sometime ... and Twice Upon a Marigold sounds really interesting. Great choices!

    Psst, my TCWT post is here: http://randommorbidinsanity.blogspot.com/2014/09/tcwt-blog-chain-dramatic-entranceexit.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) I do try to shed my serious side sometimes. But I should probably actually read A Tale of Two Cities, on account of I love the beginning. The others are all great reads, if you were curious, so I can definitely support reading them. :)

      Delete
  2. You make me wanna read a tale of two cities :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I honestly can't give much suggestion, because I haven't read it, but if you do, I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!