Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thursentary: Mothership



I read Mothership in about three hours, all under the premise that I was going to “just read one more chapter.” Then it was one o’clock and I had read the whole thing, which just goes to show how much discipline I have when it comes to good books: none.

Via WickedAwesomeBooks
The Rundown (via Goodreads)  

Elvie Nara was doing just fine in the year 2074. She had a great best friend, a dad she adored, and bright future working on the Ares Project on Mars. But then she had to get involved with sweet, gorgeous, dumb-as-a-brick Cole--and now she’s pregnant.

Getting shipped off to the Hanover School for Expecting Teen Mothers was not how Elvie imagined spending her junior year, but she can go with the flow. That is, until a team of hot commandos hijacks the ship--and one of them turns out to be Cole. She hasn’t seen him since she told him she’s pregnant, and now he’s bursting into her new home to tell her that her teachers are aliens and want to use her unborn baby to repopulate their species? Nice try, buddy. You could have just called.

So fine, finding a way off this ship is priority number one, but first Elvie has to figure out how Cole ended up as a commando, work together with her arch-nemesis, and figure out if she even wants to be a mother--assuming they get back to Earth in one piece.

Spekalation

Why I Liked This Book (Top 5 Edition)

1. realism: Mothership takes place a few decades into the future, and despite the fact that it was grounded “in the future,” every piece of technology and idea really made sense. The setting made sense, the world was different-without-being-too-different, and there was still ice cream.

2. humor: Not exactly a laugh-out-loud-the-whole-time kind of book, but it was enough to make me smile sometimes. My favorite was Elvie’s dad—he had a plan for everything, however unlikely that issue might seem.

3. twists and turns: I didn’t see a lot of what was coming, coming. The story works in flashbacks, and so it kept me in a perpetual mode of prediction and trying to understand.

4. death: People died. I appreciated that, because it really impressed the situation upon me. The humor can throw off the story, but death brings it right back down.

5. relationships: Elvie’s relationships are unique and interesting, and each one comes with a story. She harbors guilt with her mom, maintains a loving relationship with her dad, stays fond with her best friend and cutesy with her sort-of boyfriend.

Speaking a few days later from reading this, probably the thing that bugged me the most was that there was an excess of attractive guys. And sure, they’re an “alien race” and they have ridiculous good looks, but still.

I was hurting for some ugly people.

Few books keep me on the edge of my seat as much, though, and it was definitely worth my time.

What did you think of Mothership?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!