Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thursentary: Tesla's Attic



As promised, two weeks ago, I am going to do a Thursentary today. I’ve mentioned before my adoration of Neal Shusterman’s books, and when he and Eric Elfman came by on a book tour I was super excited to go to the book signing. So, without further ado, I shall review Tesla’s Attic for my first go.

Click to see it on Amazon!
The Rundown

Nick Slate and his family move to Colorado Springs to start over after a devastating fire. Nick’s troubles begin with a pile of junk in his attic—a pile which he immediately sells to make space for his bedroom. Little does he know that these are some of the famous inventor Nikola Tesla’s famous inventions, which do extraordinary, fascinating things that rock the world. Literally. They take the interest of a group called the Accelerati, a group of “scientists” who are mainly interested in making Nick’s life as hard as possible. On top of that, Nick’s troubles accidentally set a space rock about the size of Rhode Island spinning towards Earth, pretty much ensuring the subsequent death and doom of everyone. With deaths impending left and right, will Nick be able to navigate his new friendships and enemy-ships in time to save the world?
 
Spekalation

I will not lie—my homeroom class probably thinks I am crazy now as they have witnessed me cracking up in the middle of Sustained Silent Reading for no apparent reason except for this book (I’m not sure if everyone in that class understands that books can be funny). Truly, the voice of Tesla’s Attic is enough to make me grin. It’s very unique, but the best comparisons I can think of are the narrators of A Series of Unfortunate Events or Alex and the Ironic Gentleman, where the author will just stop and talk to you about stuff for a moment and make sure you’re laughing before returning to the gruesomeness of it all. I’m pretty sure I spent all of SSR smiling while reading this, hanging on the edge of my desk as I poured over the story.

The character variety engaged me, as each person had completely separate problems and passions which all intertwined. I felt like I really got to know each and every main and supporting character, and even though there was a large cast I still felt included and onstage as the events progressed.

Plus Vince was such a fun character to read. He’s obsessed with morgues and death and the like, which is great reading.

The inventions were creative as well. I am slightly suspicious of some fantasticalness in their creation, but they all served an important purpose, often giving deeper insight into the characters and of course, proving a difficult mountain for Nick to climb.

I enjoyed reading Tesla’s Attic. I loved smiling, and more than that I loved laughing. It’s an easy, fun way to spend any Friday morning, and I look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy.

Have you read Tesla’s Attic? Comment below!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!