Thursday, February 6, 2014

To "The 39 Clues" (A Letter)



Dear 39 Clues,

We haven't really talked recently. I mean, I grew out of you, and after the first series you kind of let yourself go. I don't really want to be rude, it's just true. You ended on a strong note, and then I don't even know what happened. You fell apart. It's sort of tragic. It was always about money with you, and that is one of the greatest crimes a self-respecting series could ever commit.

I can't say I approve of your lifestyle, but I still owe you a lot. I can remember the first time I ever saw you—in Mr. Rask's classroom because someone had left behind a copy of The Maze of Bones on the desk in the back, and I saw that Rick Riordan wrote it. Back then I was a big fan, and I got into it. I still have a whole bag of cards from the days when I would hang upon your every word. Not that I had a lot of words to hang upon. I got one or two good fan fictions out of you, one of which people seem to think is hilarious even though I consider it some of my worst writing. (If there weren't 17 people who had it favorited I probably would have removed it by now.)

The real thing that I owe you is your spark of initiative. I made it to the Scholastic website because of you, and from there I made it to the message boards. It was a good place to begin my internet life, where I was able to be innocent without retribution. It gave me a chance to practice expressing myself, to share anticipation with others and learn to interact on the internet politely.

Then again, it also taught me how to get around the rules quickly and secretly, but it also allowed me to get the ball rolling in my Internet career. I met some of my best friends there. It’s been five years, and that five years might never have been if not for your fan base.

I have no idea where I'd be if I
hadn’t read you. There's every chance my life would be better, I might have been happier, but then again...

The friendships I’ve made because of you are priceless.

Thank you for that, 39 Clues. I don't know if I'll ever read you again, but I will forever be in your debt. I don't expect there's anything I can do to repay it, but I'll remember you. Perhaps someday you shall remember me.

Best of Luck,

Heather

2 comments :

  1. I don't know where I would be without the STACKS right now. I'd probably have a lack of an inner friend group. It'd be limited to maybe two or three other people from IRL, whereas with you guys I have more people whom I can turn to and count on to listen and give feedback when needed.

    Plus you guys understand my weirdness. So yay for that! XD

    ReplyDelete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!