Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Lots Ter Read


I have determined that we need a new law: Celebratory snacks must always be available to writers who complete a first draft of something.

It’s kind of important.

I made it my goal to write a novel over Christmas break, keeping the standard Nanowrimo fifty thousand word goal. Nineteen days later, deciding I would git’r done, I bunkered down and wrote the last three-thousand-some words.

Which is great, because my TBR pile looks like this:

Notice there is at least another foot to the floor.

And now I can dive straight in! Not.

The problem with good books is that I end up getting addicted to them and completely ignore the rest of my books. Books are fun to build with, but they’re supposed to be read. I even know I like some of these books too, because this is, in part, a “To Reread” pile as well. And yet they all remain unread.


My only excuse is that I’m not always in my right mind around midnight and the book was shiny and I wanted to touch it and it just seemed like a good idea.

Sorry, other books.

So, at the moment, I’m caught up reading plenty of books I’ve already read. The list, at the moment, is as follows:

The Higher Institute of Villainous Education*, by Mark Walden
The Lost Hero, by Rick Riordan
The Kings of Clonmel, by John Flanagan
Go Teen Writers: How to Turn Your First Draft into a Published Book**, by Jill Williamson and Stephanie Morrill

*The moral of this post, by the way, is read this book.
**Which is also an excellent blog.

And I’m supposed to be reading:

North! Or Be Eaten, by Andrew Peterson
Quidditch through the Ages, technically by J.K. Rowling
For the Write Reason, generally edited by Marybeth Whalen
The Art and Craft of Writing Christian Fiction, by Jeff Gerke

And that whole pile pictured above. These are just the ones which have made it to my bedroom floor. Which is, of course, the first step in reading anything.

So, guess what I’m doing tonight?

Watching Pocahontas. Definitely.

What does your TBR pile look like?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!