Thursday, January 9, 2014

55 Reading Questions

So, pretty much, I was going to do something else, and then I had to improvise. So this is all raw Heather, talking about books, in a survey she stole from here, where it was stolen from Tumblr.

(All of the photos, by the way, were found saved in my LOL file on my computer so I have no idea where they came from. They are not mine. And I'll get to acknowledging their proper owners when it's not 11 PM.)

Enjoy.


55 Reading Questions

1. Favorite childhood book?

I did already write a post about my favorite children’s books, but as of today I’d probably say A Series of Unfortunate Events. They’re funny—funnier now than they were back then, actually, and they do wonders to make me feel better on a bad day.


2. What are you reading right now?

I am reading Escape Velocity by Mark Walden and Halt’s Peril by John Flanagan, and some other ones too which I have little emotional attachment to. So whatever.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?

I have George O’Connor’s new Aphrodite book on hold. And Have a Hot Time, Hades! because that is one of the few Myth-o-mania books I don’t own and want my little sister to read. I might just buy it, though, for sentimental reasons and since they’re getting new covers they won’t cost forty bucks anymore.

4. Bad book habit?

I leave books upside down with their pages open. Drives my best friend nuts.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?

Nothing, actually, because the system confused my books with my mom’s card and so now they are all on her account.

6. Do you have an e-reader?

I definitely don’t.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time or several at once?

I am a several at once kind of gal. Which is not efficient, but it is how I roll.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?

No.

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far)?

I’ve read, like, six books, so give me a break. I can tell you that last year’s was Animal Farm by George Orwell.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?

Well. That’s not fair either. I would probably have to go with H.I.V.E. by Mark Walden, though, just because that is a daily subject for me and I immensely enjoy breaking my own rules.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?

Er… Infrequently. Because if I get bored I stop reading and if I don’t care I stop reading too. In the physical sense I usually read sitting down, which is comfortable, and perhaps with a snack, which is comfortable as well. Reading is a comfortable place, I see no reason why to make yourself miserable about it.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?

Fiction, probably fantasy, mythical stories, some science fiction, action and excellent characters. I don’t know. I just read stuff and it’s good.

13. Can you read on the bus?

The last time I was on a bus was in third grade. Possibly fourth. I don’t remember. But we bus surfed, and that was fun! (I brought no books with me, alas, as surfing and reading is inadvisable.)

14. Favorite place to read?

My room. On my bed. When it’s dark. And warm. With cookies, if available.

15. What is your policy on book lending?

You can borrow it. But if you hurt my baby you had better run.

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?

No.

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?

Not the good ones.

18. Not even with text books?

I do it with textbooks. The other day I was reading about World War I in my European History textbook and we got to the part about T.E. Lawrence. So on the top of the page in orange highlighter I wrote “LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (British Beatlemania)” because that is my favorite part of that song.

19. What is your favorite language to read in?

English, though I did just recently read a novel in Spanish.

20. What makes you love a book?

When a book inspires a mindset and emotional status that results in a need or physical manifestation of that emotion… Then I love it. Wanting to murder someone. Elevated pulse. Peeing my pants. Also humor and good quotes. And good characters and inspirational feats and happy endings and satisfying investments.

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?

The memory of that book.

22. Favorite genre?

Fantasy and/or sci-fi. I’m not really sure what I read.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did)?

I wish I read more graphic novels. They’re fun.

24. Favorite biography?

Um. Potentially any of the Wicked Histories books.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?

Yeah… I think.

26. Favorite cookbook?

Who likes reading cookbooks? There’s no plot and it tells you how to do servant’s work.

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?

Errrr… Maybe, well… I do not often get “inspired” so to speak by books, but I suppose Unwind was the most… feels-making.

28. Favorite reading snack?

COOKIES. Duh.

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.

Never happened to me.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?

I don’t know. I don’t go looking for reviews.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?

Perfectly fine. I mean, you don’t have to be a jerk about it, but it’s not like your opinion is invalid just because you don’t like something.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?

Spanish. Because that’s what I’m learning.

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?

Umm… Probably It’s Our Prom (So Deal With It) by Julie Ann Peters just because it was one of the out-of-my-comfort-zone books.

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?

Last year I won an award at school and got Edgar Allen Poe’s complete works as a reward. It’s like, five inches thick and it is staying at the bottom of my to-read pile.

35. Favorite Poet?

Um… Shel Silverstein.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?

Two or three, usually. I’m not a really fast reader nor am I constantly engaged with the stories (usually) so never too many.

37. How often have you returned books to the library unread?

About sixty percent of the time. Books have to work hard to make me love them… And that starts with the cover (sadly). So I’ll start the first few chapters, but I have no qualms about stopping.

38. Favorite fictional character?

Oh, you wound me. Dr. Nero, from H.I.V.E.

39. Favorite fictional villain?

I might say Queen Bavmorda, but it’s hard to say. I need to think more. I’ll tell you later.

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?

Artemis Fowl. Because if you ever stop being able to breathe and have to occupy your time all night in the kitchen by the light of a teapot nightlight, that is a great way to spend your time.

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.

A couple weeks. Sometimes I forget I like reading. Never more than three months.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.

But there are so many! I could tell you that I’ve owned The Son of Neptune since the day it came out and haven’t opened it yet. On my do list.

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?

Food, people, needing to go to the bathroom.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?

Maybe Game of Thrones, or How to Train Your Dragon. Maybe Harry Potter. I don’t know.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?

Either Percy Jackson or Eragon. You have no idea.

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?

Fifty dollars or so. I do not have a job, so not a lot of money spending is warranted.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?

Never, but I do kind of skim while I’m reading and sort of sneak around to find out what happens at a later point in the story.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?

My house being on fire, or if it sucked.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?

They’re all alphabetized by the author’s last name and organized by series. As are my movies. And all my favorites have an exclusive shelf on the other side of my room.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?

Keep them. If I got through them they were good, so then I’ll want to read them again.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?

Yeah. There’s a big stack of them by my door.

52. Name a book that made you angry.

Unwholly, by Neal Shusterman. Like, that series is the best written series I’ve ever read but Starkey was just killing me and by the time I got to the end I had to put the book down and go shower and listen to YouTube and eat something or else I might have killed somebody, because I was so sdfjasdklfjasdklfasd.

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?

Every book I’ve ever loved (deeply, truly, insatiably loved) I thought I would hate when I picked it up. No lie.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?

Um, that’s harder to remember, because if I don’t like it I stop. Although my summer reading for AP European History was this book called A World Lit Only by Fire, and how cool is that title? It was the most boring book I’ve ever read.

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?

Anything on my favorites book shelf. Eragon, Artemis Fowl, H.I.V.E., Scarlet, there’s a bunch. If I love it, then I have no guilt. Because the books are awesome, and that is really all that matters.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!